Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Phone: ext. 2243
Dr. Kukrek received his BS degree in chemistry from Marmara University in Turkey. He received his PhD in organic chemistry at the University of Houston in 2006. His primary research focus was to design and synthesize novel organic ligands and their Ru(II) complexes system for their applications as photosensitizers in solar cells.
During his graduate school, he tutored high school students in chemistry, physics, and other classes to improve failing grades. He also acted as the sole advisor for high school science projects. He is one of the founding members of the International Sustainable World Energy, Engineering & Environment Project Olympiad (I-SWEEEP) (www.isweeep.org) established in 2004.
After his graduate work, Dr. Kukrek moved to Everest Productions in New Jersey to work as scientific programming producer where he planned, developed, and produced award-winning science-oriented programs for clients.
Before joining Centenary University, he worked as a lab manager and adjunct professor at Saint Peter’s University where he taught undergraduate labs and coordinated with other instructors.
- Design, synthesis, and characterization of novel organic ligands and their transition metal complexes system for applications as photocatalysts/photosensitizers, and in solar energy conversion.
- Design and synthesis of new molecular catalysts for water-splitting.
- Develop and synthesize functional and responsive/intelligent polymers and their potential pharmaceutical and biomedical applications.
Publications & Posters
- “Designing ligands to promote photooxidation of a Ru(II) aqua complex as a first step in water decomposition” Ruifa Zong, Ahmet Kukrek, Darren Brown and Randolph P. Thummel The 27th Department of Energy Solar Photochemistry Research Conference 2004.
- “Photosensitizers Containing the 1,8-Naphthyridyl Moiety and Their Use in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells” Ahmet Kukrek, Dong Wang, Yuanjun Hou, Ruifa Zong, and Randolph Thummel Inorg. Chem. 2006, 45(25), 10131 – 10137.
- “Anchoring ligands and their Ru(II) complexes as Sensitizers for TiO2 solar cells” Ahmet Kukrek, Randolph Thummel, Sigma Xi Research Day, 2006.